Thursday, January 27, 2011

Exploring Roma (4): Villa Borghese, Home of the Rich and Famous

Well, the Vatican was something else. I attempted to do it justice through describing to you what my eyes saw, but I'm just throwing this out there...it's ten times more exquisite there than what my words depict. 

Following my awesome weekend, I wanted to get out in Rome and get going on my to-do list. That being, to see and know Rome by the time I leave this place. I realize I'm here for four months, but there is so much to do! Monday was crap weather, but Tuesday I whipped out my trusty guidebook (good ole Frommer's) and picked a day trip. I don't have classes until 5:15 during the week, so my days are literally free until then. It was a really nice day on Tuesday, so the great outdoors was a good option. I also used this day as my test-run of the public transportation system they call bus routes around here -- they're more like alley thrill-rides though, coming from experience!

Villa Borghese is Rome's Central Park, or Stanley Park. The only difference(s)... there are Baroque statues on the path corners, and fountains and faux temples among the perfectly trimmed trees. The park became city property in 1901 when the famous Borghese family went bankrupt and sold off their estates--the museums, fountains, everything. The Villa Borghese borders the shwankiest neighbourhoods of Rome. The park boasts a bunch of opportunities for activities -- there's a lake for boating, bike/rollerblading paths, gravel paths for running, a horse track, a bunch of benches for sitting and taking in the rays or reading or simply being at peace with yourself and your thoughts. The park is by all descriptions lavish and beautiful -- the trees are equally separated, the paths are all groomed perfectly at equal widths, even the people are groomed perfectly. I'm sure I need to throw this in here...yes, I dressed for the occasion and made sure I kept the guidebook in my purse for fear of degrading the park's "You have to look the part to be here" aura. 

 Galleria Borghese, home of Bernini's most elegant statues. Another full day event to do.

 The Galleria's side garden

 I think these are the Borghese family heads; they are on every corner of the paths


 The Galleria's "backyard"
 Borghese fountains at path intersections 

Benches and beauty


 Old ministry buildings from the Borghese era


No comments:

Post a Comment